This guide contains step-by-step instructions for how to hunt and kill Legendary Animals in RDR2. Below that, you’ll also find a map of locations for each Legendary Animal in Red Dead Redemption 2. There are 29 Legendary Animals to hunt in Red Dead Redemption 2, including 16 animals — the rest of the Legendaries are fish.
To kill a Legendary Animal in Red Dead 2 you must hunt it carefully — Legendary Animals do not just appear, you must hunt/track them to stand a chance of killing them.
- Equip your most powerful weapons and ammo. A Shotgun with Slug Ammo purchased from a Fence is a great hunting accessory. You cannot damage Legendary Animal pelts so bring strong weapons and leave your bow behind.
- Ride to the area where the Legendary Animal should appear based on the map below.
- A black box should pop up on the upper left corner of the screen indicating you’ve entered a Legendary Animal’s territory.
- Get off of your horse and move in slow, spiraling circles to until a white question mark (?) appears on your map. This is the start of the hunting sequence.
- If you do not see the black box pop up or the white ?, leave the area and camp nearby. Return and the black box should appear and the animal should spawn. Note that some Legendary Animals will not appear until you’ve completed Master Hunter Challenges (One example of this is the Legendary Panther, see below).
- At the white ?, press the button indicated to investigate the droppings, fur, or damage the animal left. This reveals a path. Click the RIGHT STICK and LEFT STICK at the same time to enter Eagle Eye mode and see the path (R3/L3).
- Follow the path and, at the end of it (usually the path runs in a straight line from where you started, and it always ends within the white circle on the map) enter Eagle Eye again.
- Investigate the second of three animal evidence markers.
- Repeat the above steps to reveal a third evidence marker. At this point, listen for the animal and crouch.
- Move slowly towards the animal using the final path illuminated by your Eagle Eye.
- Replenish Dead Eye as needed, and target the animal’s head with your powerful weapon.
- Again, you cannot damage the pelt of a Legendary Animal so fire as many shots as you can. Animals like the Legendary Buck will run after taking damage, so you’ll need to shoot quickly, and with powerful ammo.
- Approach the Legendary Animal and skin it.
- If you let the animal get away, leave the area (go back to Camp) and sleep 72 hours.
How to Use and Sell Legendary Animal Parts
- The parts of a Legendary Animal like antlers and teeth can be used to make a very helpful perks called Talismans and Trinkets at the Fence.
- The Legendary Animal skins can be sold to a Trapper for money and to unlock cosmetic gear.
There are 16 Legendary Animals to hunt throughout New Hanover, Ambarino, Lemoyne and New Austin. Use the map and links below for a guide to each.
- Legendary Alligator
The legendary gator can be found to the south of Lagras, in the marshy swamps west of Lakay in the Bayou Nwa region of Lemoyne. Skinning this alligator will reward you with the Legendary Alligator Skin and Legendary Alligator Tooth.
- Legendary Bear
Find the legendary bear in the clearing to the north of the lake at O’Creagh’s Run in the Grizzlies East region of Ambarino. You can first obtain the legendary bear pelt and Legendary Bear Claw after completing the mission Exit Pursued by a Bruised Ego in Chapter 2.
- Legendary Beaver
The legendary beaver is found just to the southeast of Elysian Pool, due west of the Van Horn Trading Post. Skinning it rewards you with the Legendary Beaver Pelt and Legendary Beaver Tooth.
- Legendary Boar
You’ll find the legendary boar around the northwest section of Bluewater Marsh, at the northern edge of the Bayou Nwa region of Lemoyne. Skinning it grants the Legendary Boar Pelt and Legendary Boar Tusk.
- Legendary Buck
You’ll find the Legendary Buck in the black bone forest at the western foot of Mt Shan, northwest of Strawberry in West Elizabeth. The legendary buck pelt is valuable, but the Legendary Buck Antler trinket is great to get early on as it increases the quality of all your skins.
- Legendary Cougar
You can hunt the legendary cougar west of Tumbleweed in Gaptooth Ridge in New Austin. Killing and skinning it earns you the Legendary Cougar Pelt and the Legendary Cougar
- Legendary Coyote
This legendary animal can be hunted near the west end of Dewberry Creek, northwest of Rhodes in the Scarlett Meadows region of Lemoyne.
- Legendary Elk
You’ll hunt the legendary elk in the woods due east of Bacchus Station, to the north-east of Fort Wallace, on the border of New Hanover and Ambarino. Skin it to earn the Legendary Elk Pelt and Legendary Elk Antler.
- Legendary Fox
The legendary fox can be found just east of Mattock Pond, to the north of Rhodes in Lemoyne. It drops the Legendary Fox Pelt and Legendary Fox Claw when skinned.
- Legendary Moose
You’ll find the legendary moose in the far northeast corner of the map, by following the train tracks north from Annesburg or heading up the river from Brandywine Drop in Roanoke Ridge. Skinning it unlocks the Legendary Moose Pelt and Legendary Moose Antler.
- Legendary Panther
To unlock this legendary hunt, you must first complete 9 Master Hunter challenges. Once you do, you can find it in the woods south of Bolger Glade, west of Shady Belle. Skin the panther to earn the Legendary Panther Skin and Legendary Panther Eye.
- Legendary Pronghorn
The legendary pronghorn can be found in New Austin, to the east and slightly south of Fort Mercer. Skinning it grants you the Legendary Pronghorn Hide and Legendary Pronghorn Horn.
- Legendary Ram
You’ll be able to find the legendary ram in the hills just north of the railroad, slightly east of Cattail Poind, across the Dakota River to the east of Valentine. Obtain the Legendary Ram Hide and Legendary Ram Horn by skinning it.
- Legendary Tatanka Bison
You’ll find the Tatanka Bison in Hennigan’s Stead, south of Stillwater Creek. Skin it to earn the Legendary Tatanka Bison Pelt and Legendary Tatanka Bison Horn.
- Legendary White Bison
The Legendary White Bison can be hunted along the north shore of Lake Isabella, in the Grizzlies West region of Ambarino. It provides the Legendary White Bison Pelt and Legendary Bison Horn when skinned.
- Legendary Wolf
The Legendary Wolf can be hunted and skinned in and around Cotorra Springs, to the southwest of the Wapati Reservation and across the Dakota north of Fort Wallace. Its skin rewards you with the Legendary Wolf Pelt and Legendary Wolf Heart.
Was this guide helpful?