England must not have been paying attention when Panama tried (and failed) to score on the Three Lions during a goal celebration in the group stage because England tried to do the same on Wednesday.
After Croatia jumped ahead in extra time, the entire Croatian outfield squad left the field to celebrate. England tried to turn that celebration into an opportunity to restart play against no defense. It predictably didn’t work.
The referee called Marcus Rashford and Jesse Lingard back as they tried to go uncontested towards goal. And here’s another angle, which showed the Croatia players off the field.
A viral tweet that presented a debunked interpretation of FIFA Law 8 suggested that a team could pull off a quick restart if all 10 outfield players were off the field.
According to the actual Law 8, all of the following are required:
– All players, except the player taking the kick off, must be in their own half of the field of play.
– The opponents of the team taking the kick-off must be at least 9.15 m (10 yds) from the ball until it is in play.
– The ball must be stationary on the centre mark.
– The referee gives a signal.
– The ball is in play when it is kicked and clearly moves.
– A goal may be scored directly against the opponents from the kick-off; if the ball directly enters the kicker’s goal, a corner kick is awarded to the opponents.
Portugal appeared to think that rule was a thing when it kept one player on the field for Cristiano Ronaldo’s goal celebration, but as FIFA referees have shown, there is no validity to the rule. It’s totally not a thing.
England found that out the hard way.
10 fantasy football potential busts we’re irrationally nervous about in 2018
World Cup fans roast Croatia player who got sent home after the opening match
An insane three-way all-in hand decided the World Series of Poker Main Event final table
The absurd reason Kurt Busch left Sunday’s race fuming at teammate Kevin Harvick
How Ricky Stenhouse Jr. infuriated both Kyle and Kurt Busch in NASCAR race
Read or Share this story: https://ftw.usatoday.com/2018/07/england-quick-restart-fifa-rules-croatia-celebration-video-world-cup-law-8